100 YEARS OF ARCHITECTURE
Sutton Griffin Architects was founded in 1910 by Basil Sutton and is one of the oldest practices in the country.
Joined by John Griffin in 1947, the practice initially specialised in large country mansions and listed buildings. Early works included substantial renovations and extensions to Hackwood House, Chilton Lodge, Bagnor Manor and West Wooday House.
In 1973 Patrick Griffin joined the practice and widened its interest to commercial and public buildings. The new Headquarters offices for Micro Focus Plc, The Royal British Legion and Regional Centres for Vodafone Plc are amongst many commercial buildings completed by the practice; with Newbury Public Library, Thames Valley Police Section Stations and many schools and surgeries representative of our public sector work. Retail commissions include Parkway Shopping Centre in Newbury, department and furniture stores for Camp Hopson Ltd and Daniel Ltd in Newbury and in Windsor; and Waitrose Stores in Wells and Newbury.
In addition, substantial housing projects have been undertaken for both general purpose use and for specialist retirement sectors.
In the late 1990s Simon Turl, Ian Blake and Robert James joined the practice, again broadening its expertise. The practice has won many awards and was responsible for the design of Europe’s largest Mosque in London which was selected as one of the ten best modern religious buildings in the world by the Independent newspaper.
In 2007 the practice joined forces with Carter Jonas to widen its national coverage and to link with their architectural and surveying team, as well as their masterplanning capability.
The practice has, for over a hundred years, been providing high quality architectural solutions to meet contemporary needs and has more entries in Pevsner’s Architectural Guide to Berkshire than any other practice.